Pros and Cons of Social Media Use and Children
With the increased use of social media by today’s youth there has been a great deal of research regarding its impact on these children and their future. There are a number of implications for this form of media use and children; the information below provides some insight to the findings of current research.
Potential negative effects social media can have on youth:
1. Cyberbulling and online harassment1
2. Increased psychological distress2
3. Participating in sexually explicit behaviour (ex. Sexting)1
4. Facebook Depression- a display of depression like symptoms that appear in children who spend excessive time using online social networks1
Potential positive effects social media can have on youth:
1. Increases community involvement1
2. Understanding how to create online material1
3. Increased social skills1
4. Opportunity for educational growth6
This video was created by Dr. Amanda Third of the University of Western Sydney in Australia. The video provides more information regarding the positive impact of social media use and today’s youth.
As the use of social media by children is currently a hot topic, many people have opinions regarding its usefulness and its effect on children. This podcast episode of Education Talks by Ms. Gysel, includes an interview of three individuals and their opinions and experiences with online social networks and young adults.
1 – Schurgin O'Keeffe, G., Clark-Pearson, K.,& Council o Communications and Media. (2011). Clinical Report—The Impact of Social Media on
Children, Adolescents, and Families. Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, 800-804.
2 - O'Dea, B.,& Campbell, D. (n.d.). Human Dimensions in Online Social Networks. JRC, 236-238.
6 - (47), l. (n.d.). Social Networking’s Good and Bad Impacts on Kids. American Psychological Association (APA). Retrieved January 26, 2012, from http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2011/08/social-kids.aspx
Social Networking and the Benefits to Young People: highlights from a Literature Review - YouTube . (n.d.). YouTube
- BroadcastYourself . Retrieved January 25, 2012, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGTZeZMc-OE&feature=g-hist&context=G2591356AHTyHlOgABAA